Thursday, December 19, 2013

Looking for Mary at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

When I walked into Paris's Notre Dame Cathedral last June, it felt a bit like coming home. I had spent the previous year visiting Shinto temples in Japan, Buddhist temples in Thailand and both Hindu temples and Muslim mosques in Malaysia. Whereas all these places were interesting, the amount I know about these various religions would fill one short paragraph at the most. I always felt on the verge of greatly offending someone by ignorantly doing the wrong thing.


Notre Dame Cathedral's South Façade as seen from across the Seine River.

Notre Dame, on the other hand, is a church for the Catholic religion that's been with me since birth. Finally, I was visiting a place where I knew the rituals like the back of my hand and the stories depicted on the walls and windows without having to refer to a guide book. Okay... small confession... I did have to look at the guide book a little because the imagery is sometimes unclear, but the stories were familiar to me after a lifetime of religious education classes and Sunday mass.

Notre Dame means "Our Lady." Specifically, it refers to Mary, the virgin mother of Jesus. During this time of year leading up to Christmas, I often think of Mary. What must it have been like to travel so far from home while hugely pregnant? What did she think of winging it with accommodations once they got to Bethlehem? Did she look at Joseph and ask, "Seriously? A manger? That's all you could get us?" Or was she patient, kind, and compliant? Perhaps she was thinking, "At this point, I don't care! I am about to pop." At least she and Joseph did not have that whole "what to name the baby" quandary since the Angel Gabriel specifically told her, "You are to give him the name Jesus."

Notre Dame is huge with so much to take in and see. Let's focus on just one theme. This post is in honor of Mary as I show you some of the many ways she is depicted throughout the cathedral. If you like, listen to this recording of "Hail Mary" sung by the Notre Dame choir as you read on.



The main entrance to the cathedral is at the West Façade. A large rose window measuring 9.6 meters is at the center and forms a halo around a statue of the Virgin Mary presenting the Baby Jesus to the city between two angels.

Notre Dame, cathedral, Paris



This statue on the left side of the West Façade at the Portal of Mary was restored in Viollet-le-Duc's workshop in the 18th century after being destroyed during the French Revolution in 1793.


Notre Dame, cathedral, Paris



The Portal of St. Anne on the right side of the West Façade was installed in 1200. The Virgin with Child in the Romanesque style is centered over the doors. Mary sits on a throne under an elaborate canopy holding a scepter and her Son. Jesus is holding the Book of Law in his lap. Flanked on both sides by angels, the Bishop of Paris is on her left, and the King of France is on the right.

Notre Dame, cathedral, Paris



Numerous stained glass windows illuminate the inside of the cathedral. I suspect that some were created more recently than others based on their varying styles.

I wonder if this is one of the few remaining medieval windows.





This one's lack of color makes me think it is not as old as the rest.

Statues of Mary also decorate the inside of the cathedral.




The vaulted ceiling soars 10 stories above the pews. Can you imagine what the worshippers who attended the Dedication Mass in 1345 must have felt?


Close up view of medallion at the top

Paintings in a style the reminds me of Russian icons also grace one side of the sanctuary.



As we head into this last week before Christmas, my family is also traveling to our hometown. Our journey is long, but we have accommodations arranged. No sleeping with the livestock for us.

Wishing you joy, happiness, and safe travels! 


This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox, "Oh the Places I've Been" at The Tablescaper, and Travel Photo Monday at Travel Photo Discovery. Check them out for more around-the-world travel inspiration.

25 comments:

  1. Wow! I loved this one. I have to admit that even with a Christian upbringing that sometimes I am overwhelmed (and not understanding if totally honest) of all that I see in the churches and cathedrals in Europe. I love the way you focused on Mary -- and what a wonderful post for the Christmas season. Merry Christmas to you! Look forward to reading more from you in 2014. . . xx Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, or as they say in Malaysia, "Selamat Hari Natal!"

      Delete
  2. fantastic. i really want to do a home swap in paris one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried a homeswap, but I bet a little Parisian apartment would be something I'd like.

      Delete
  3. the Notre Dame Cathedral always reminds me of one of my favorite animated movies, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." I hope to see it one day! It's crazy, I visited more than 20 countries, yet haven't put foot in France yet!

    Merry Christmas :)

    -Maria Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to see that movie. I must do it now that I've actually been to Notre Dame.

      Delete
  4. It's the stained glass windows that I really love. Agree with Jackie about your post - and what a nice way to present it.
    And now to add to your 155 + hours of plane travel for 2013. Good luck with the long flight home and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also loved the stained glass the most. I wish I had more time to look at it.

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful pictures... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have taken some wonderful photos here. Now I know what Notre Dame means :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I hear Notre Dame, I usually think of American college football.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous, loved the pictures and your wonderful story, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Michele, I loved this post. I now think of Mary and Joseph in a new light...I mean what a road trip that would be, huh? I can not imagine.

    Notre Dame is beautiful. It was the first cathedral I studied in art in high school. I was amazed and remember thinking how amazing it would be to see one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comforting to know that even Mary and Joseph ran into the "all the inns were full" problem travelers dread.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post just before Christmas. I've never been to Notre Dame but now I know it's story and the pictures are gorgeous - love the stained glass windows :) Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How appropriate to post this story along with the music as background. Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures of a place I want to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a Catholic and named after Mother Mary, I truly loved this post and the choir as a background. What a great post, Michele and smart to focus on a particular theme at Notre Dame and great timing of the post. Loved Notre Dame and my favorite is also all the stained glass windows. I think I was too overwhelmed when we last visited to even realize how prevalent she was inside. I think I need to go back for a closer look :) Merry Christmas to you and your family! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Notre Dame Cathedral is indeed magnificent, as are many of the cathedrals and churches of Europe. Such beautiful windows, carvings and peaceful ambiance. You would have seen my image of candles at Notre Dame in my post this week! Thank you for stopping by, and have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pics ... some art history in the sculptures and stained glass

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed your tour! I enjoyed seeing Notre Dame in person, but without a guide, I missed so much. Thank you for filling in some of the gaps. It blows my mind how they built cathedrals like this back then. Merry Christmas, and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Michelle, such a beautiful post. Listening to the beautiful rendition of Hail Mary as I was reading gave me goosebumps. I love the stained glass windows of ND. I admit that appreciate all the beautiful statues but didn't know the stories they depicted. This is a beautiful tribute to Mary and a reminder of what it must have been like to travel far away to give birth. This reminded of my visit to the manger in Bethlehem about a year and a half ago. I'm not that religious but that visit was one of the most powerful experience I ever had. As I was reading your post it clicked on me that I should have made it my Christmas post. Well maybe for the Three Kings Day or for next Christmas. Have a a safe trip home and have a wonderful Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michele, I have a couple of friends who were able to visit the Notre Dame Cathedral and they both said the same thing. They had seen pictures before arriving. But, when they walked in they were just awestruck. I love the history behind it so very much. And of course the artwork is absolutely epic! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful stained glass photos. They turned out with amazing detail.

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Comment moderation is on, so your comment may not appear immediately.

Web Analytics